Department of OPHTHALMOLOGY
HODDr. Chander Mohan Kohli
Department of OPHTHALMOLOGY
Department Of Ophthalmology has a very important role in the hospital attached to the medical college because a good ophthalmic setup brings a substantial number of patients to the hospital. As eye is a charitable branch and most of the patients belong to lower socio-economic status, a well equipped eye department is a fundamental requirement of any medical college where patients can get cheap and quality treatment.
The department of Ophthalmology was founded in 2015. There is an outpatients' section functional on all days of the week and there is a well-equipped operation theatre where surgeries are performed daily. This department has a special ward for infective patients. The department provides complete eye care in the form of various ophthalmic procedures like intraocular lens implantation, flurosceine angiography and medical management of vitreo-retinal diseases. There are various diagnostic facilities like ultrasound, slit lamp, perimetry, and fundus camera for outpatients and those referred for this specialized services.
The objectives of our department are:
The major objectives of the department are such that at the end of the course, the student shall be able to:
Apart from low vision aid clinics, it also started offering treatment for Retinopathies, which requires highly technical equipments (LASER) and specialised skills owing to the extremely delicate nature of the Human eye. The department offers routine spectacle checking, contact lens fitting services and fundus fluorescein angiography(high-end photographic technique for diabetic retinopathy). These are apart from the routine A scan, which provides data on the length of the eye, a major factor in common sight disorders.
- To provide prompt & accurate diagnosis and treatment of an eye patient in various sub-specialties like cataract, cornea, glaucoma, squint, oculoplasty & retina.
- To contribute in the national programme of prevention of blindness, department of ophthalmology conducts regular eye camps & school screening programmes.
- To teach and train medical undergraduates, theory and clinical assessment of routine ophthalmic disorders so that they become better clinicians and can thus help the community.
- To train and guide postgraduate students so that they become good ophthalmologists as well as researchers.
- Research activities- Besides latest instruments and proper infrastructure, there is a very well equipped departmental library having latest reference books, journals and internet connection.
At the end of the courses, the student shall have knowledge of:
DEPARTMENT OF OPHTHALMOLOGY
- common problems affecting the eye;
- principles of management of major ophthalmic emergencies;
- main systemic diseases affecting the eye;
- effects of local and systemic diseases on patient's vision and the necessary
- action required to minimize the sequalae of such diseases;
- adverse drug reactions with special reference to ophthalmic manifestations
- magnitude of blindness in India and its main causes;
- national programme for control of blindness and its implementation at various levels;
- eye care education for prevention of eye problems;
- role of primary health centre in organization of eye camps;
- organization of primary health care and the functioning of the ophthalmic assistant;
- integration of the national programme for control of blindness with the other national health programmes;
- eye bank organization
This department is a well established for diseases of posterior segment of the eye. Photocoagulation is done with double frequency YAG.
Consultants regularly attend and present papers and/or posters at various states, national and international conferences. Faculty members also give faculty talks at conferences and CMEs
Community programmes - Rural and Urban camps and school health programme are being conducted regularly.
- Orthoptic checkup & exercises for squint
- Slit Lamp with Photography Facility
- Humphrey Visual Field Analyser (Zeiss) for Glaucoma workup
- A- and B -Scan Ultrasound
- YAG Laser
- Fundus Photography with Flurosceine Angiography facility.
- Argon laser Photocogulation for treatment of Various Retinal Diseases including Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Operating Microscope for Eye Micro Surgery with Vitrectomy system.
- Facilities for Lid and Lacrimal apparatus surgery.
1. Dressing Room- Male & Female
2. Reflection Room, Dark Room
3. Teaching Beds- 30 No.
4. Nursing Station, Examination Room, Treatment Room, Pentry, Store, Duty Room & Demo Room.
5. ICCU- 05 Beds, ICU- 05 Beds, SICU- 05 Beds
6. Well equipped 02 OT for Clean & Septic cases.
Seminars conducted on following topics in the year of 2015-16 & 2016:-
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Computer Vision Syndrome & Dry Eye
- Glaucoma in Elderly Age-Group